I’m a Pinterest dweller during slow times at work and recently I found this easy yet delightful recipe for Caprese Chicken. I have always wanted to become a master chef, but since my dreams are leading me in other directions, I try to cook at home when I can.. This is not always a good thing, but when it is, I will post it here.
This recipe can be super healthy if you watch the cheese intake. If you are feeling like going all out, add some garlic bread and a glass of wine and voila! All of a sudden you have a fancy night on your hands.
Yield: 2 Servings
2 Skinless Chicken Breasts
Sea Salt & Ground Pepper
1.5 Tablespoons Olive Oil (give or take)
3 Large Garlic Cloves (I love garlic, so use less if you don’t love it)
1 Pint Grape or Cherry Tomatoes
8 Chopped Basil Leaves ( I picked these from our garden!)
4 oz Mozzarella, sliced into thin strips, about 1/4 inch (Approximately. This is where you can adjust the amount. More cheese= delicious, less cheese= healthier)
Splash of Balsamic Vinegar
1. Heat about 1/2 tablespoon olive oil in a pan on medium-high heat.
2. Salt and pepper both sides of the chicken breasts, place in heated pan and cover for about 10 minutes. Flip chicken and let sit (covered) for another 10 minutes.
3. While your chicken is cooking, mince garlic and cut tomatoes in halves. In a new pan, heat 1/2 tablespoon of olive oil on medium-high heat and add garlic until it is fragrant (about 1 minute). Add tomatoes and saute until tomato skins are wrinkled (about 5 minutes). Remove from heat and add basil.
5. When your chicken is done (either slice it with a knife and make sure there is no pink, or when it has reached 165 degrees internally), place your mozzarella slices on top, pour the tomato mixture on top of that, and cover until the cheese is melted, about 7 minutes.
6. When the cheese is nice and melted, add a splash of balsamic vinegar to finish it off!
7. Break out the garlic bread if you decided to go for some extra carbs, pour yourself a nice glass of wine and enjoy.
I got this great recipe from this Pinner: http://www.thenovicechefblog.com/2013/07/caprese-chicken/
She’s got a lot of other great recipes to try out.